Mahawilachchiya is a village shadowed by the great Wipattu National Park of Sri Lanka. Despite its remoteness, Mahawilachchiya’s residents maintain an amazing green lifestyle with limit of plastic consumption, oil-engine usage and garbage produce. You would be amazed by how clean and organized this village is the first time you step foot here.
Almost every household has a bicycle which is mainly used by the children for school and everyday commute. Children love their bicycles. Whenever you don’t see them at home or studying, they are on their bicycles wandering around the village.
The bike allows the students to participate in more social and community events which make them more active, out-going and tighten their relationship with others. Moreover, it’s easy to see that the amount of workout bicycling requires has made the kids more physically strong and lessen common diseases. Not to mention the positive effect this type of commute could bring to the environment.
Bicycling is an all-in-one type of commute that we want to promote to more and more people. At Horizon Lanka, there are even bicycles for the kids to lend if their family could not afford one. Unfortunately, we still don’t have enough for the ones in need. The problem is that even is some families possess a bicycle, the parents and the other members of the families constantly want to use the bicycles for their day to day chores depriving young students to use them. Hence they have to walk distances and be late for schools.
There are 5 girls who are in need of a bicycle: Aruni, Nimanditha, Proboda, Sachini, and Tharani (in alphabetical order.) Since none of their family could afford one, we are raising money to buy all of them new bicycles. These bicycles will be used mainly by them for school and other activities, however, will be lend to other children at Horizon Lanka whenever someone in need. (The ownership of the bicycle will remain with Horizon Lanka and we will assign the bicycles to the children as long as they are students of Horizon Lanka and if and when the relationship ceases, we will assign those bicycles to some other student at Horizon Lanka.
These 5 bicycles will surely bring joy and happiness to these girls and many other kids at Horizon Lanka. We are calling for help and support from our long-term friends, well-wishers, partners to make their wishes come true. Once these girls get sponsorship to the bicycles, we will seek help to provide bicycles to the five boys.
A used Japanese bicycle cost with the repair costs will be around 10,000 LKR (68.53 USD / 61.70 EUR.) You can donate this amount to Horizon Lanka through https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/empowering-children-in-rural-sri-lanka or by sending money to our bank account. For bank details, please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bicycling, along with being the most efficient mode of human locomotion, is also one of the best all-around activities for improving our health. From head to toes, cycling’s health benefits are hard to beat.
7 Health Benefits of Cycling
- Cycling is good for your heart: Cycling is associated with improved cardiovascular fitness, as well as a decrease in the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Cycling is good for your muscles: Riding a bike is great for toning and building your muscles, especially in the lower half of the body – your calves, your thighs, and your rear end. It’s also a great low-impact mode of exercise for those with joint conditions or injuries to the legs or hips, which might keep them from being active.
- Cycling is good for your waistline: You can burn a lot of calories while biking, especially when you cycle faster than a leisurely pace, and cycling has been associated with helping to keep weight gain down. And cycling has the added benefit of ramping up your metabolism, even after the ride is over.
- Cycling is good for your lifespan: Bicycling is a great way to increase your longevity, as cycling regularly has been associated with increased ‘life-years’, even when adjusted for risks of injury through cycling.
- Cycling is good for your coordination: Moving both feet around in circles while steering with both your hands and your body’s own weight is good practice for your coordination skills.
- Cycling is good for your mental health: Riding a bike has been linked to improved mental health.
- Cycling is good for your immune system: Cycling can strengthen your immune system, and could protect against certain kinds of cancers.