An engineer from LankaCom, led by Mr. Asanka Gatamanna and some technicians from their subcontractor, Sanit Technologies in Anuradhapura visited Horizon Lanka computer lab and the Dialog Axiata communication tower on October 17, 2015. They wanted to see if LankaCom can provide a leased internet line using the Dialog tower to provide unlimited access to the internet for Horizon Lanka. Dialog has been very helpful to us in the past. And these are the facilities they offered us so far.
(1) First, the Dialog provided Horizon Lanka Foundation a low cost phone packages for 5 staff members and 10 parents.
(2) Then Dialog provided mobile phone access to Horizon Lanka around a 50 meter radius of Horizon Lanka building at a time none of the other places in Mahawilachchiya had mobile phone coverage. So, not only we, mobile users from the whole village came to make calls using the coverage at Horizon Lanka.
(3) Dialog donated 6 brand new PCs and 6 computer tables for the students to use in December, 2006. The company also donated 120,000 LKR as the allowance for one of our instructors for the year 2007. The cost of the total donation was 500,000 LKR (4637.35 USD during that time.)
(4) Dialog provided first mobile coverage to Mahawilachchiya using the Lanka Bell communication tower, on Horizon Lanka Founder, Mr. Nanda Wanninayaka’s request to Dr. Hans Wijayasuriya, the CEO of Dialog Axiata.
(5) Dialog expanded the coverage to the Left Bank of Mahawilachchiya on February 27, 2009 using Dialog’s own high tension tower in Kiralpetiyawa, Mahawilachchiya on Horizon Lanka Founder, Mr. Nanda Wanninayaka’s request to Dr. Hans Wijayasuriya, the CEO of Dialog Axiata.
(6) Dialog Axiata permitted to use its Kiralpetiyawa, Mahawilachchiya base tower for LankaCom to install Horizon Lanka’s mesh internet equipment in the Dialog tower without charging a penny. It helped us expand our mesh internet network to Kiralpetiyawa, a forgotten and backward area of Mahawilachchiya when it comes to infrastructure facilities.
(7) Dialog Axiata provided first and only 3G coverage by using the Lanka Bell tower in Pemaduwa, Mahawilachchiya in June, 2011 on Horizon Lanka’s Founder, Mr. Nanda Wanninayaka’s request to Dr. Hans Wijayasuriya, the CEO of Dialog Axiata. But this was not sufficient as Horizon Lanka Foundation is situated in the Left Bank of the village.
(8) Dialog Axiata expanded its 3G coverage to the Left Bank of Mahawilachchiya in September 2011 on Horizon Lanka Founder, Mr. Nanda Wanninayaka’s request to Dr. Hans Wijayasuriya, the CEO of Dialog Axiata.
(9) Dialog permitted LankaCom, one of the rival companies of Dialog when it comes to Internet facilities to use its Kiralpetiyawa tower without charging a penny for Horizon Lanka to get internet access through LankaCom. Unfortunately the signal strength to the computer lab was too weak as the heavily grown tree canopy blocked signals. But still there is hope that if install a 120 feet tower at Horizon Lanka, LanCom will be able to direct the antenna to Dialog tower and get the signals. Anyway Thank you Dialog for all what you did over the years for us and we will do the maximum justice to your helping hand by producing more English and ICT savvy youth from Horizon Lanka Foundation as we did in the past.
It was LankaCom that provided internet to Horizon Lanka from April, 2004 till February, 2011 (almost 7 years) with maximum breakdowns less than of 10 times during the whole period. They charged us a nominal fee for the internet connection till Information and Communication Technology Agency of Sri Lanka (ICTA) sponsored our monthly internet bill from 2005 onward. We are incompletely satisfied with LankaCom’s Internet connection and its maintenance services. So, thought of getting their services again.
After hours of checking signals to the computer lab from the Dialog base tower in Kiralpetiyawa we did not get a positive result from Asanka Gatamanna, the engineer from LankaCom. According to him, we cannot directly get internet signals from the Dialog tower in Kiralpetiyawa, Mahawilachchiya due to heavily grown tree canopy around Horizon Lanka computer lab. So, we need to install our own tower at Horizon Lanka (like in 2004) and aim it to either Dialog tower in Kiralpetiyawa or to LankaCom’s base station tower in Anuradhapura. We will have to install a 120-feet tower and it will cost us in the range of 600,000 LKR to 700,000 LKR (4270.00 USD to 4981.67 USD.) We will publish another article once we get the full budget from them.